ASDF Help Thread. [Serious]

All things asdf (and anything else)

Re: ASDF Help Thread. [Serious]

Postby Anonymously Famous » Thu May 11, 2017 12:52 pm

Evai wrote:How do y'all make IRL friends? I only talk to my parents

When I was in school, most of my IRL friends were from school and church.

Now, school has been taken out of the equation. There are a few people I've stayed in touch with, but I've moved and they've moved, so it's not the same as it was. There are a few people from church that I'm kind of close with, though. Still, everyone (including myself) seems busy. They're either at work, busy with kids, or busy doing some other responsible grownup thing. I've found it difficult to have a "good" social life.
ThingerDudes wrote:The only reasonable amount of Nutella is infinity. Everything else is too little.

Proud poster of the 300kth post in General
Anonymously Famous
JKL; Assassin
JKL; Assassin

Postby Froggychum » Thu May 11, 2017 2:58 pm

im not very social, the only time i wanna talk to people is when my psyche is literally in pain that's almost physical because my human need of social interaction is so low and empty that i am suffering deeply

Okay that was kind of dramatic, but I dont like a lot of people, and even out of the people i do like, i trust none of them.

yup.

I need help: I think i can fly, but i broke my legs, then my arms, then my neck, and now im dead, pls help need revive
<3 Froggychum
Froggychum
ASDF-Ville Officer
ASDF-Ville Officer

Postby assdef » Sat May 13, 2017 12:00 pm

Anonymously Famous wrote:
Evai wrote:How do y'all make IRL friends? I only talk to my parents

When I was in school, most of my IRL friends were from school and church.

Now, school has been taken out of the equation. There are a few people I've stayed in touch with, but I've moved and they've moved, so it's not the same as it was. There are a few people from church that I'm kind of close with, though. Still, everyone (including myself) seems busy. They're either at work, busy with kids, or busy doing some other responsible grownup thing. I've found it difficult to have a "good" social life.

TL;DR

Also, don't you kids have the Facechats and the Snapgrams and the Friendbooks that help you make acquaintances? I assumed that's what all that social technology nonsense was used for.

I've always found that having common interests makes for good friendships. Spend time at the places you like to spend time at (comic book stores, record stores, chess club, YMCA, bars, synagogues, etc.), and meet people that like to spend time there as well, and talk to them. If you've got common ground it's easy to start up a conversation about that common interest, and a friendship will build from there.

Depending on where you live you might also be able to take advantage of local community youth groups or service organizations where you go to volunteer events and meet people. If you're no longer in school but live near a community college they often offer extension classes in fun subjects like art or writing or social sciences that are relatively inexpensive, and you are bound to meet like-minded individuals there. I've also had really good luck with VolunteerMatch.org in the past, getting connected with a non-profit organization that helped me make some good friends.

Or just search ASDF on the InterWeb and BAM! you show up here and hang with this motley crew.
assdef
JKL;'s Nightmare
JKL;'s Nightmare

Postby Froggychum » Sat May 13, 2017 1:43 pm

great advice :D
<3 Froggychum
Froggychum
ASDF-Ville Officer
ASDF-Ville Officer

Postby Uly » Mon May 15, 2017 9:04 pm

Yep that's it
Uly
ASDF Prophet
ASDF Prophet

Postby Anonymously Famous » Wed May 17, 2017 3:21 pm

That is really good advice.
ThingerDudes wrote:The only reasonable amount of Nutella is infinity. Everything else is too little.

Anonymously Famous
JKL; Assassin
JKL; Assassin

Postby atomtengeralattjaro » Sun May 21, 2017 8:36 am

Help me understand this:

Why is voter registration required in certain countries (like the US and the UK)? What's wrong with automatically registering all eligible voters? It looks like all registration achieves is lower voter turnout.

I've read that you guys aren't required to have state ID cards and/or notify the government about your place of residence. This might explain the registration. But why no ID card?
Without an ID card, how can for example police check if you're an illegal immigrant or not? How do you handle any government stuff, tax stuff, bank stuff without an ID card?
If the government doesn't know where you live (unless you have a drivers licence), how do you get summoned to court? How are demographic statistics made without that information?
If someone calls the police on your home, how do you prove you actually live there and are not a burglar?

ID cards are so simple and just make your life easier. Also, voter turnout, duh.
History has taught us that we don't learn from the past.

atomtengeralattjaro
ASDF's Best Friend
ASDF's Best Friend

Postby assdef » Mon May 22, 2017 12:50 am

I can only speak to the U.S., but....

You're correct, voter registration is a substitute of sorts for needing a government ID. You register to vote in the US to establish both that you are eligible to vote (e.g., 18+ years old, not an illegal immigrant, etc.) and also establish your residency so the election board knows who you should vote for; that is, what congressional district you live in, what local government officials you should vote for, etc. U.S. Citizens vote for a myriad of candidates in local, state, and national election races, and depending on where you live, the contest in which you vote changes. The problem with automatically registering all voters is that there is no mechanism by which the government knows where your residence is, so you register to tell the government where you're qualified to vote.

You're not required to have an ID card, but it makes life a lot easier if you do. Citizens aren't issued an ID card, but are issued a number by the Social Security Administration (aptly named their Social Security Number) and that number is used for a lot of ID-related items. If the police wanted to check the citizenship status of someone the SSN would help establish that. This is also the number that you would use to file your tax return, open a bank account, etc.

Court summons need to be delivered in person in most jurisdictions. This is done by the local sheriff, or a process server. Obviously they try to serve at a last known address, but sometimes it requires a little bit more research.

Demographic info is captured by a public census that occurs every 10 years. The Census is actually required in the U.S. Constitution. They do other quantitative research on people in between, but the Census is the only official record of resident statistics.

Residence in a home owned by the resident is established by a title deed that is filed with the local county government, or a rental residence is established by a lease agreement. Either are required to obtain a state-issued ID card, and most people have a state ID. If you didn't for whatever reason, you'd use the title deed to the home you own or lease to the apartment you live in to prove your residence.

The interesting thing is that in the U.S. there is a cost for obtaining a state-issued ID card, in addition to the paperwork necessary to receive one. So voters are not required to show an ID card when they vote in some jurisdictions; doing so is argued to be a form of voter disenfranchisement: if you can't afford the cost of the ID, or can't spend time away from work to go to the government office that issues the ID to get one, and aren't allowed to vote as a result, you've essentially been denied your right to vote by the government, which is a big no-no. Plus, election boards use other ways to verify identity besides looking at an ID card to prevent voter fraud (like requiring you to match signatures to your voter registration, or verifying the voter's address when they go to vote), so an ID isn't necessary.

I'm not sure that the lack of an ID card or voter registration is the reason for low voter turnout. Registering to vote is stupid-simple in the U.S.: you fill out a form (online, or mailed in), and wammo!, you're registered. The reason for low voter turnout is voter apathy--people who don't think voting is important enough relative to the effort to go out and vote.
assdef
JKL;'s Nightmare
JKL;'s Nightmare

Postby atomtengeralattjaro » Mon May 22, 2017 7:57 am

Wow, thanks for the detailed answer!

I still find it weird, but I kinda understand now.
The odd thing is that from what I can tell, you're not actually required to have any form of identification, not even a SSN (?), (I mean you probably have an SSN, you might have a state ID, you might have a passport or drivers licence, but not necessarily) and also the fact that election rules and all the identification stuff can vary state by state makes it all a bit confusing.

I prefer our european system still.. sure, the homeless don't have an address, but they can get registered as a resident of the district/munincipality they live in, and get an address card that way. As far as I know it doesn't cost them anything. ID cards are also issued for free. So I don't see any disenfranchisement from this.
History has taught us that we don't learn from the past.

atomtengeralattjaro
ASDF's Best Friend
ASDF's Best Friend

Postby lunar_furor » Mon May 22, 2017 4:44 pm

atomtengeralattjaro wrote:Wow, thanks for the detailed answer!

I still find it weird, but I kinda understand now.
The odd thing is that from what I can tell, you're not actually required to have any form of identification, not even a SSN (?), (I mean you probably have an SSN, you might have a state ID, you might have a passport or drivers licence, but not necessarily) and also the fact that election rules and all the identification stuff can vary state by state makes it all a bit confusing.

I prefer our european system still.. sure, the homeless don't have an address, but they can get registered as a resident of the district/munincipality they live in, and get an address card that way. As far as I know it doesn't cost them anything. ID cards are also issued for free. So I don't see any disenfranchisement from this.

America has a history of wanting things, yet not wanting to pay taxes. As a result most fees involved in getting an id are covered by the person getting one. CGP Grey has a great video on the problems with SSN and identity in the US for any further reading that may answer any questions Assdef didn't already answer.
lunar_furor
ASDF Prophet
ASDF Prophet

Postby Shai'tan » Tue May 23, 2017 4:20 am

This is interesting. America is such a weird place from an European perspective.
lunar_furor wrote:America has a history of wanting things, yet not wanting to pay taxes. As a result most fees involved in getting an id are covered by the person getting one. CGP Grey has a great video on the problems with SSN and identity in the US for any further reading that may answer any questions Assdef didn't already answer.

Checking that out now!
Quote of the Ages:

Shai'tan
ASDF's Best Friend
ASDF's Best Friend

Postby Uly » Wed May 24, 2017 10:23 pm

Aw man isn't liberationism great?
Uly
ASDF Prophet
ASDF Prophet

Postby assdef » Mon May 29, 2017 9:13 am

lunar_furor wrote:America has a history of wanting things, yet not wanting to pay taxes. As a result most fees involved in getting an id are covered by the person getting one. CGP Grey has a great video on the problems with SSN and identity in the US for any further reading that may answer any questions Assdef didn't already answer.

The CGP Grey video on SSN is laden with factual errors. 1) The Social Security System is not a "savings" system as there is no direct tie between the amount of money you put in versus the benefit you receive. Whether you earn $10,000 a year or $10,000,000 a year during your working life you receive the same exact social security benefit upon retirement. 2) The IRS (Internal Revenue Service, referred to in the video as the "tax department") was forced to utilize the SSN to track social security tax payments by the Social Security Administration, not the other way around. 3) The IRS did not tie the SSN to a "tax discount" to encourage people to get social security numbers, the U.S. Government created a tax benefit for having children in order to promote the welfare/growth of society. 4) The IRS prepared your income tax for you until 1955 (~20 years after the Social Security Administration was created) and so there weren't a bunch of "phantom children" on every tax form, there was no way to lie because the IRS did the work for you, and when they stopped doing the work for you in 1955 they required an SSN for every child on the tax form. 5) Those "exceptions" to social security coverage that he talks about at the end were eliminated in 1951 when the government amended the law and required all local governments and similar entities (like railroad companies which were essentially government-run until 1980) to either provide an old-age pension themselves under what is called a "Section 218 agreement" OR participate in the social security program, so there is no getting out of the social security program anymore by creating a religion.

I am quickly approaching social security age, I know this stuff. An old, bearded man waving his index finger at you while slightly shaking his cane and muttering something.

(Or it could be that I'm an accountant.)
assdef
JKL;'s Nightmare
JKL;'s Nightmare

Postby Anonymously Famous » Tue May 30, 2017 6:14 pm

Wow! This was all super interesting! Thanks, atom, for asking, and thanks, assdef, for the super detailed answers!

Anonymously Famous
JKL; Assassin
JKL; Assassin

Previous

Return to General